Alan Charles Trachtman
Mr. Trachtman concentrates his practice in the areas of criminal law, corporate and commercial litigation, and employment discrimination in the state and federal courts of New York and New Jersey. Mr. Trachtman has assisted business clients in conducting prophylactic internal investigations to prevent or to correct criminal violations and has assisted clients with pre-arrest investigations. He has also guided clients through the entire criminal progression of arrests, arraignments, plea negotiations, pre-trial motions, pre-trial hearings, trials, sentencings and appeals.
Mr. Trachtman has represented corporate officers, businessmen, lawyers and doctors in matters such as violations of Federal and local environmental laws, Medicaid fraud, securities violations, public corruption, IRS violations (Criminal Investigation Division), as well as in DWIs, assaults, sex crimes, and drug violations. He also has represented clients in investigations and prosecutions by the New York State Attorney General's office. Mr. Trachtman also has expertise in civil RICO cases, having represented both plaintiffs and defendants in these quasi-criminal proceedings.
With over 40 years of experience in handling criminal cases, having served 21 years as a prosecutor and having been appointed Chief of the Trial Bureau and Confidential Assistant to the Kings County District Attorney, Mr. Trachtman is in the position of having decades of experience on both sides of the courtroom and is thus seasoned and trained to provide representation in criminal matters.
He is admitted to practice in New York and New Jersey, the United States District Courts in the Southern and the Eastern Districts of New York, the District Court of New Jersey, the United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit, the United States Tax Court and the Supreme Court of the United States.
Mr. Trachtman has co-authored "Discretion in the Hands of the Neophyte Prosecutor, The Brooklyn Experience" presented to the American Society of Criminology at its Annual Meeting, "The Oil Pollution Act is Here, Mariner Beware" and "The Protection of the Law in the United States" (describing Fifth Amendment protections for foreigners in the U.S.). Mr. Trachtman has also been a lecturer at the Brooklyn Bar Association, speaking on "Prosecutorial Misconduct, Myth or Reality."
Mr. Trachtman graduated from the State University of New York, Maritime College, receiving a B.S. in Marine Transportation, earning a Third Mates License in the United States Merchant Marine and receiving a commission in the United States Navy as an Ensign.Mr. Trachtman was honorably discharged from the Navy as a Lieutenant Commander. He is a graduate of St. John's Law School.
Areas of Practice
- Residential Real Estate
- International Transactions
- Closely Held Businesses
- Mergers, Acquisitions & Divestitures
- Age Discrimination
- Race Discrimination
- Sex Discrimination
- Grand Jury Proceedings
- Search & Seizure Protections
- Construction Contracts
- Employment Contracts
- Employment Discrimination
- Water Pollution
- Federal Trial Practice
- Tax Litigation
- Commercial Leasing
- Commercial Real Estate
- 80% of Practice Devoted to Litigation
- New Jersey, 1977
- New York, 1969
- U.S. District Court Southern District of New York, 1989
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of New York, 1974
- U.S. District Court District of New Jersey, 1977
- U.S. Court of Appeals 2nd Circuit, 1975
- U.S. Tax Court
- U.S. Supreme Court
- St. John's University School of Law, Jamaica, New York
- J.D. - 1968
- State University of New York, Maritime College
- B.S. - 1964
- Major: Marine Transportation
- "Discretion in the Hands of the Neophyte Prosecutor, The Brooklyn Experience", (Co-Author), American Society of Criminology at its Annual Meeting
- "The Oil Pollution Act is Here, Mariner Beware", (Co-Author)
- "The Protection of the Law in the United States", (Co-Author)
- Lecturer, "Prosecutorial Misconduct, Myth or Reality", Brooklyn Bar Association
Past Employment Positions
- Supreme Court Bureau, Chief, 1969 - 1990
- Kings County District Attorney, Confidential Assistant
- New York State Attorney General's Office
- United States Naval Reserve, Lieutenant Commander, 1964 - 1975
- United States Merchant Marine, Third Mates License, 1964 - 1989