Laura M. Trachtman
Laura M. Trachtman began her practice at the Bronx County District Attorney’s Office, then clerked for the Honorable Judge John Ingram in Kings County Supreme Court. She then moved on to focus exclusively on appellate litigation before expanding her practice to general litigation. Laura is well-versed in civil, corporate, and criminal litigation, real estate transactions (both commercial and residential), partnership disputes, matrimonial law, and Alternate Reproductive Technology “ART” Law. She is particularly enthusiastic about motion practice and appellate work and has represented both plaintiffs and defendants with great success.
An experienced litigator, Laura has conducted numerous trials and considers the courtroom her natural environment. These cases have included among others both criminal and civil cases involving discrimination law in an employment setting. She has also written myriad appeals, In an appeal in the Second Department, Nelson et al v. HSBC, a discrimination case, the Second Department reversed itself and adopted a more liberal interpretation of the New York City Human Rights Law, thus fulfilling the original intent of the framers of the law.
Laura is admitted to the bar in the State of New York, as well as the Eastern and Southern District Courts of New York, and is a graduate of Barnard College (BA, Chinese History, cum laude), University of California, Berkeley, School of Law, Boalt Hall (JD), and spent a year at Harvard Law School as a Visiting Scholar. Most recently, she obtained her Master’s Degree from Columbia University's Graduate School of Arts and Sciences in Chinese History.
Laura speaks, reads, and writes fluent Mandarin, and is conversant in Swedish.
AREAS OF PRACTICE
- Alternate Reproductive Technology (“ART”) Law
- Appellate Litigation
- Civil Litigation
- Corporate Litigation
- Criminal Litigation
- Commercial Real Estate Transactions
- Employment Discrimination Law
- Matrimonial Law
- Partnership Disputes
- Residential Real Estate Transactions
- New York
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of New York
- U.S. District Court Southern District of New York
- University of California at Berkeley, Boalt Hall School of Law, Berkeley, California
- Harvard Law School, Cambridge, Massachusetts
- Visiting Scholar
- Columbia University’s Graduate School of Arts and Sciences in Chinese History, New York, New York
- Barnard College, New York, New York
- B.A. Chinese History
- Honors: Cum Laude
- Mandarin Chinese