When it comes to important events in life, it is always wise to plan and prepare. For example, if you are looking for a child care provider, you will probably want to have a conversation with your candidates before making your selection. This gives you insight into whether the caregiver you choose is a good match for your family's needs.
The same is true when you are preparing for divorce and looking for an attorney. Instead of choosing the first divorce lawyer you see on the internet, it is wiser to take a more cautious approach. Manhattan has many experienced lawyers to choose from, making it easier than you might think to find an attorney who meets your needs.
A good way to go about making your final choice is to compose a series of questions to ask your short list of candidates. This allows you to address any particular areas of concern that may apply to your case. To help you get started, here are a few questions to ask when you are choosing an attorney to help you in your divorce.
- If your spouse already has a lawyer, ask your candidates if they have ever opposed your spouse's attorney before.
- Ask your candidates how they plan to communicate with you about your divorce.
- Find out if they have paralegals or other team members that might work on your divorce.
- Ask about the firm's amount of experience handling divorce cases.
- If you have children, ask your candidates if they have experience handling child custody and support issues.
Final tip: Good, experienced divorce lawyers expect client questions and are prepared to answer them promptly. Because attorneys are here to serve you, never be afraid to ask about any divorce issue that concerns you.