State And Federal White Collar Criminal Defense
If your company is the target of an investigation by a state or federal agency, it is important to contact experienced legal counsel as soon as possible. You could face personal civil and criminal consequences.
At Cox Padmore Skolnik & Shakarchy LLP, our defense lawyers represent business owners, directors, officers and managers in criminal investigations, grand jury proceedings, subpoenas, arrests, indictments, arraignments, pretrial motions, plea negotiations, trials and appeals of criminal matters. With offices in New York City, Denver and New Jersey, we handle these cases in state and federal courts in New York, New Jersey and Colorado.
Defense Against A Full Range Of White Collar Charges
We focus on aspects of white collar criminal law that affect business owners and employees, including:
- Racketeering: In recent years, Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organizations (RICO) Act investigations have increasingly focused on businesses across a broad range of industries such as banking and securities, financial services, health care and international commerce.
- Mail fraud: Mail fraud is one of the most frequently charged offenses in our federal government’s dramatically accelerated efforts to control and deter corporate corruption. It can be based on any allegation that the U.S. mail was used to exchange information.
- Wire fraud: Wire fraud charges can be brought based on any allegation that illegal activities were furthered by use of the Internet, phone lines and cellular networks.
- Tax fraud/IRS investigations: Our lawyers have the resources and experience to represent companies and individuals in all phases of Internal Revenue Service tax investigations and prosecutions.
- Securities fraud: Criminal investigations targeting traders, securities brokers and other financial industry professionals are on the rise, including currency reporting violations.
- Forgery: The discovery of one falsified document or misrepresented product has the potential to result in forgery and other charges.
We have significant experience handling civil investigations by the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC), the Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD), the attorney general and the IRS, all of which can lead to criminal prosecution. Our lawyers also handle charges of public corruption, bribery, Foreign Corrupt Practices Act violations, false claims, environmental violations, securities violations, DWI, assault, sex crimes, drug violations and other criminal law cases.
Protecting Your Reputation And Your Business
In addition to criminal penalties, federal agencies are empowered to administer far-reaching civil sanctions, including suspensions, exclusions and debarments. Our goal as your attorneys is to limit the scope of the investigation and, if possible, head off criminal prosecution.
Should a criminal prosecution take place, our lawyers have extensive experience navigating clients through the complicated areas of arrest, arraignment, grand jury presentation, indictment, pretrial motions, plea negotiation, trial and appeals of criminal convictions.