Email: Please use the email form below
Mr. Spivak concentrates his practice in the area of labor and employment law and commercial litigation. He represents public companies and medium-sized and closely-held businesses in connection with day-to-day labor and employment matters including terms and conditions of employment, employee handbooks, wages and hours, breach of contract, restrictive covenants, employment discrimination, prevailing wages. He also represents ERISA and non-ERISA welfare funds, individuals and labor organizations in employment related matters.
Mr. Spivak’s litigates these matters in federal and state courts, before government agencies and arbitration tribunals. He also represents clients in commercial and general litigation including business, RICO, fraud and breach of contract.
After graduating from the School of Industrial and Labor Relations at Cornell University, Joel attended New York Law School where he served on the Law Review. Upon graduation, he worked at the National Labor Relations Board in Washington, D.C. and in the New York Regional Office. After completing government service, he worked in the Labor Department at Proskauer Rose LLP after which he was a partner in small firms specializing in labor, employment and business law matters.
He is admitted to practice in New York State courts, the U.S. District Court Eastern and Southern Districts of New York, the U.S. Court of Appeals 2nd Circuit and the U.S. Supreme Court. He represents clients located throughout the country and Puerto Rico. He is a member of the New York State Bar Association, Labor and Employment Law Section.
In his leisure time, Mr. Spivak is a committed long-distance biker who bicycles several Centuries (100 miles) each year.
AREAS OF PRACTICE
- Employment and Labor Law
- Employment and Labor Litigation
- Commercial Litigation
- General Litigation
- New York, 1973
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of New York, 1975
- U.S. District Court Southern District of New York, 1975
- U.S. Court of Appeals 2nd Circuit, 1979
- U.S. Supreme Court, 1981
- New York Law School, New York, New York
- J.D. - 1972
- Cornell University, School of Industrial and Labor Relations
- B.S. - 1969
- Adjunct Associate Professor, Employment and Labor Law, New York Institute of Technology
- Conduct Labor and Employment Seminars for Employers and Business Groups
Professional Associations and Memberships
- New York State Bar Association, Labor and Employment Law Section, 1973 to 1973
Past Employment Positions
- Proskauer Rose LLP, Labor Department
- New York Regional Office
- National Labor Relations Board, Washington, D.C.