Cox Padmore Skolnik & Shakarchy LLP
866-716-3813 Blog Contact

What should I know about corporate tax law in New York?

Once you incorporate your business, you will likely be responsible for filing a corporation tax return in New York. According to the New York State Department of Taxation and Finance, there are separate tax returns for each type of business, such as S corporations, banking corporations, farmers’ cooperatives and telecommunication companies.

The New York City Department of Finance reports that any foreign or domestic corporations in the city are subject to paying a general corporation tax if they are doing business, employing capital, occupying an office space or owning or leasing property.

It is important to note that in New York City, any corporation that has an employee or officer within the five boroughs must file the form for the general corporation tax, even if the entity is otherwise not subject to the tax. Further, S corporations must pay this general tax, despite any federal or state elections.

New York city does offer some exemptions for entities such as the following:

  •          Certain corporations that pay the utility tax or the New York City banking corporation tax
  •          Corporations that did not do business that year
  •          Corporations without property in New York City
  •          Housing development fund businesses or limited profit housing companies that were founded under the Private Housing Finance Law
  •          Insurance corporations

If your business abides by the calendar year for fiscal purposes, you must file and pay taxes by March 15 of the following year. If you use a different calendar, then you must file your return by the 15th of the third month after your fiscal year closes.

While this information may be useful, it should not be taken as legal advice.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Consult Our Skilled, Pragmatic Manhattan Commercial Litigation Attorneys

Tap To Request An Exploratory Consultation ยป

Entrepreneurial, Corporate and Individual Legal Services For Domestic And International Clients

To Request A Consultation By Phone, Call: 917-512-4332 (NY/NJ) | 917-512-4332 (CO) | 866-716-3813 (Toll Free)

New York Office
630 Third Avenue 19th Floor
New York, NY 10017

Toll Free: 866-716-3813
Phone: 917-512-4332
New York Office Map

Great Neck Office
98 Cutter Mill Road, Suite 310N
Great Neck, NY 11021

Toll Free: 866-716-3813
Phone: 917-512-4332
Great Neck Office Map

Hackensack Office
27 Warren Street, Suite 304
Hackensack, NJ 07601

Toll Free: 866-716-3813
Phone: 917-512-4332
Hackensack Office Map

Denver Office
1060 Humboldt Street
Denver, CO 80218

Toll Free: 866-716-3813
Phone: 917-512-4332
Denver Office Map